Nimona Review



Nimona by Noelle Stevenson (266 pages)

My Rating: 5 Stars
Date Finished: 7 October 2015

Synopsis:
The graphic novel debut from rising star Noelle Stevenson, based on her beloved and critically acclaimed web comic, which Slate awarded its Cartoonist Studio Prize, calling it "a deadpan epic."
Nemeses! Dragons! Science! Symbolism! All these and more await in this brilliantly subversive, sharply irreverent epic from Noelle Stevenson. Featuring an exclusive epilogue not seen in the web comic, along with bonus conceptual sketches and revised pages throughout, this gorgeous full-color graphic novel is perfect for the legions of fans of the web comic and is sure to win Noelle many new ones.
Nimona is an impulsive young shapeshifter with a knack for villainy. Lord Ballister Blackheart is a villain with a vendetta. As sidekick and supervillain, Nimona and Lord Blackheart are about to wreak some serious havoc. Their mission: prove to the kingdom that Sir Ambrosius Goldenloin and his buddies at the Institution of Law Enforcement and Heroics aren't the heroes everyone thinks they are.
But as small acts of mischief escalate into a vicious battle, Lord Blackheart realizes that Nimona's powers are as murky and mysterious as her past. And her unpredictable wild side might be more dangerous than he is willing to admit.

My Review:
This was a fun, quirky, and cute graphic novel that I absolutely adored.
The charm of it was split fifty-fifty between the writing and the drawings. I don't know why, but I am obsessed with the character drawings from this novel! They are so cute and amazing and I love them.
I love how it was so successful as a web comic that Harper decided to turn it into print. Things like that make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
This comic had me straight out laughing out loud (to the point where my roommates thought something had gone wrong with me). I loved how Nimona had so much spunk and actually *minor spoiler* was more villainous than the actual villain of the story. 
Speaking of, the relationship between Nimona and Blackhart was awesome! It was cool to see the father-daughter relationship as well as the villain-sidekick and overall besties vibe from the pair.
Goldenlion was fun, too. Even though he was the :hero" of the story, he was still able to see the good in Blackhart and question the Institution and their motives and actions.
I liked how this isn't really just one genre. It has elements of fantasy, science/tech, and medieval genres but also had a very modern take on certain parts. I have always wanted to read something set in a distant time period that also has a lot of modern aspects.
The story line was cute, but it also got really deep at times. It allows readers to start questioning their own country's "heroes" and Institutions. It also calls into question how far testing and militarization should be allowed to go.
Overall, I really enjoyed this fun and very quick read.
If anyone is in a reading slump or just need to get into a better mood, I definitely recommend this to you.

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Annihilation Book One Review

Hey Guys

Extraordinary Means Review