Wyrd Sisters Review



Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett (362 pages)
My Rating: 3.5 Stars
Date Read 13 December 2016

Synopsis:

Terry Pratchett's fantasy classic Wyrd Sisters, a novel in the Discworld series, is the story of Granny Weatherwax, the most highly regarded non-leader a coven of non-social witches could ever have.

Generally, these loners don't get involved in anything, mush less royal intrigue. but then there are those times they can't help it. As Granny Weatherwax is about to discover, though, it's a lot harder to stir up trouble in the castle than some theatrical types would have you think. Even when you've got a few unexpected spells up your sleeve.

Granny Weatherwax teams with two other witches -- Nanny Ogg and Margat Garlick - as an unlikely alliance to save a prince and restore him to the throne of Lancre, in a tale that borrows -- or is it parodies -- some of William Shakespeare's best-loved works.

My Review:

I am giving this book a 3.5 stars, so I will explain why later on in the review. Again, as always, there will most likely be spoilers, so read at your own peril.

This was my very first Terry Pratchett book! My friend Grace let me borrow her copy of the book and said I would probably like it because Macbeth is one of my all-time favorite Shakespearean plays!

I enjoyed this book. Don't let the 3.5 star review throw you.

I liked how the plot moved along fairly quickly and everything was interconnected. That was something I don't really see too often in novels, so it was great to experience that. I am wondering how all of the other twenty-seven or so books will connect together, but I can't say that I will be reading them too soon. I have far too many other books I need to read right now, but maybe next year!

The characters were pretty fun as well. I loved the three witches, they were so  fun and snippy! All the sarcasm and arguments made them even more lovable, and we all know that I love me a good witch character. I think I loved Margat the most out of the three witches because she was so "modern"' as opposed to Nanny and Granny. Nanny, however, is such a spitfire and I love how violent she can get in her temper.

I do have to say, however, that the story line did get kinda convoluted at times which is one of the reasons I am giving it a lower rating. The timeline, while it was supposed to go a bit wonky, had me all turned around at times.

I also wasn't a big fan of there not being any chapter breaks. While there were some line breaks to show the shift in the narrator, it wasn't enough to really show breaks in what was happening in the story. I am not saying that this is always a bad thing, not having chapter breaks, but I, personally, appreciate them.

The world was very well built, though the rules of the world were not fully explained. I loved all of the little footnotes and interjections from the narrator. They made the time pass so much more quickly.

Overall, it was a pretty good book. It took some getting used to the writing style and the world itself, but I enjoyed it. I am excited to see what comes next in the series!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Annihilation Book One Review

The Modern Fairy Tale: Adaptations and Retellings

Hey Guys